Tuesday 2 November 2010

Eyesore

My eye has deteriorated quite rapidly recently. I first got glasses about 15 years ago, and up until 18 months ago was about -1 to -1.25 strength. My eye test yesterday measured my required lenses as -2 . So quite a change in a short time. I'd noticed quite a bit of blur, but hadn't realised that it had got do bad. Apparently it is just my age. But if this keeps going I stand to lose a lot of vision in the next few years!

I went back to Boots Opticians as last time they were good and I got some nice frames with lenses for well within the value of the NHS voucher. This time, even though the optician knew I was an NHS patient, she kept on about vari-focal lenses, persisting after I said I wasn't interested. These are classes as a luxury item by the NHS and so are not covered by the voucher; and they cost about £120 (plus frames!). Looking back this is a bit rude. I also discovered that their selection of cheap frames has become deeply unsexy and dorky looking. So I took my voucher and went elsewhere. I'm waiting for my benefit to come tomorrow but will probably go to Specsavers who seem much more geared to low-income people and have a great deal on NHS vouchers.

No comments: